Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Book Finds

My therapist suggested I learn some more about mindful thinking and meditation. I thought the best place was to look in the library for Buddhist texts that may instruct me on these techniques. For a small library, I think I hit the jackpot and checked out the following books:

  • The Art of Happiness by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
  • The Beginner''s Guide to Insight Meditation by Arinna Weisman and Jean Smith
  • How To Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life by His Holiness the Dalai Lama
  • Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy by Sarah Ban Breathnach
  • Simple Meditation & Relaxation by Joel Levey and Michelle Levey
Now, mind you, I have only two weeks to read these books (not going to happen!), so my goal is to skim through them and figure out which one(s) can help me. Then, I will renew or purchase accordingly.

So far, I discovered that Simple Abundance is a book of daily entries, filled with inspirational stories or messages. I ordered a copy from Bookmooch and that should be coming in the mail soon (so, cross one off the pile!).

I usually write book reviews on my completed reads, including non-fiction, so I will post my reviews on The Anxiety Journal too.

It's really not surprising that I turn to books during a time like this. Books help me stay calm by learning. I suspect that's what makes me a bibliophile!

2 comments:

Terri said...

Thanks, Jill, for starting this blog. Great way for you to process some of your issues and share techniques and wisdom with others!

I have other book recs too but don't want to overload you too much. Let me know when you'd like to peek at more titles.

I haven't dealt with anxiety but have some other issues that are helped by the same sorts of techniques. I look forward to sharing and learning with you.

Jill said...

Terri: thanks for dropping by. I appreciate your support and advice. I will let you know when I am ready for more book titles.

All the best,
Jill