Sunday, August 17, 2008

My Current Treatment

Isn't it true that the best place to start is at the beginning?

Over the past several weeks, I have been experiencing panic attacks with the classic physical symptoms: chest tightness, fullness in my throat, tingly sensations in my extremities, the flight response and general, gut-wrenching fear.

I believe (as do my medical professionals) that my panic attacks are a result of a recent injury called costochondritis, which is the inflammation of the cartilage in my rib cage (sternum). The pain from costochondritis is much like a heart attack. My initial cardiovascular tests were fine, so my doctor knew I was not having a heart attack, but she couldn't figure out what was causing my pain and other symptoms.

After a trip to the ER, which was a scary adventure, I was diagnosed with costochondritis. I was relieved to have a diagnosis finally, but the Panic Train had already left the station. And it's been spinning around the Brain Track ever since.

I have been taking Xanax to help me. Without a doubt, when I feel the chest fullness coming on (my first sign of a panic attack), I reach for Xanax. I take half of a pill, and within 20-30 minutes, I feel fine. If I wait too long before taking Xanax, then the other panic signs come on, and Xanax has a harder time "fixing" my symptoms.

What frustrates me is that I would like to utilize non-medicinal methods to allay my panic attacks, but so far, nothing has helped. Only Xanax. My therapist assured me that this is okay. Just like it will take my rib cage 6-8 weeks to heal, so too will my brain need time to recondition to a less panicky state.

Patience, it seems, will be an important part of my treatment plan.

I have, however, found great solace in music. And thanks to a wonderful fellow book blogger who sent me music that helps her relax, I have some nice selections in my iPod to help me relax through music.

What's next? I will be going to therapy every two weeks. I will continue with the Xanax. And I will be reading more about mindful thinking and relaxation techniques.

I am especially interested in mindful thinking because I believe it will not only help my panic attacks but also help me to control my other life stressers. Before my health issue, my life cup was right at the rim, and when another stresser came along, my cup runneth over. I have to keep that level down a notch or two - to allow some buffer for those inevitable life stressers that will come back into my life.

Blogging about my anxiety will help too. Thanks for stopping by and reading. You are part of my therapeutic journey, even in this small way.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jill, can I just stop by to second what your therapist has said. For the past two years I have been unable to travel and the bottom line behind this is that at a time of great stress I was ill while travelling and my mind has assumed (wrongly) that travelling is the problem. I have been working with mindfulness meditation for the last eight months and slowly my brain is learning that travelling isn't the 'enemy' and bit by bit I'm going further and further. It takes a long time to convince our brains that things aren't as they believe; they are after all trying to protect us, but it can be done. Keep with it and you will succeed.

Jill said...

Thank you so much for your encouragement. I am still learning so much about mindfulness meditation, but I have heard great success stories when people use it. Thanks again for dropping by!

K.M. Saint James said...

I had no idea that the panic attacks could be caused by an injury. In reading your more recent post, I found that it is a chemical reaction as well. This is great insight to me, as my dad has suffered anxiety attacks for several years now. The higher his stress level, the more often or longer lasting they seem to be. As my dad is in his 80s, I can't picture him embracing yoga or mediation breathing, but it's nice to know about all those options and to understand that what he is fighting has to deal with the chemicals in his body. He was a life-long smoker. I have to wonder if the conditions always existed and now that he has been smoke free for around 10 years, and the drugging nicotine is free from his system, if that isn't what's let out all the chemicals to run amuck at this point.

Thanks for sharing your journey.