Saturday, August 23, 2008

A New Warning Sign


Typically, I know a panic attack is coming on because my breathing becomes labored, and I feel a tightness in my chest that spreads to my throat.

But this week, I kept feeling something else: a restless, uneasy feeling that made me want to flee from the room. It wasn't a panicky feeling necessarily - but something unsettling that I felt deep within my gut. As I felt this sensation, my breathing stayed normal and there was no tightness in my chest. I was not sure what was wrong. I remember reading about the "flight" response, and when the second episode of uneasiness hit me, I decided to take a Xanax and do some breathing exercises. Sure enough, it took care of this weird, uneasy feeling.

And so I guess I now have two warning signs of panic.

I googled the flight response and found this interesting passage on the Anxiety and Panic Disorder Center of Los Angeles's Web site:



What happens to the body during a panic attack?

When the brain perceives a threat or danger, messages are sent to a section of your nerves called the autonomic nervous system (ANS) which then activates the adrenal glands in the kidneys to secrete chemicals, such as adrenaline and noradrenaline, which key up the body for fight or flight. The autonomic nervous system is divided into two sub-sections called the sympathetic nervous system and the parasympathetic nervous system. The sympathetic nervous system is the actual system that releases energy and prepares the body for action. The body then typically restores itself back to normal after a period of time by the parasympathetic nervous system, which acts as a kind of stabilizer.

For people who are prone to anxiety and panic attacks, their parasympathetic nervous system, or their ability to restore their body back to normal after experiencing a stressor, does not seem to function properly. Hence, people who suffer from anxiety and panic attacks have a faulty parasympathetic nervous system, which for some unknown reason malfunctions in its ability to restore the body back to a normal state. The sufferer then remains keyed up simply because there are high levels of free-floating adrenaline in the body that have not burned off yet. For some it lasts for hours, for others it can last for days.


It's always reassuring to me to know that there are chemical reasons for anxiety. For me, chemical means it can be altered, studied and treated. But, like with an chemical, it requires experimentation and patience. I am hanging there...

2 comments:

The Shiba said...

My Primary Person has been diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder followed by Panic Attacks. While She has always been "high strung," the disorder only manifested during the last two-three years as she entered the beginning stages of menopause (despite her young age).

One of her classic "how to create an anxiety attack" is to give her too many choices in a store. One day, she had to go and buy a pen. There were maybe 30 different types of pens to choose from and she could not figure out which one to buy, and the attack started. She spent the next 20 minutes in the car.

I am an important part of her treatment. She uses me to help keep her going on days that she doesn't think she is going to make it.

If you don't mind, I shall link your blog for others to read. Anxiety is so difficult because people don't understand how such a "normal" happy person can just "suddenly lose it." I am not sure that I understand it; I just know that sometimes, she holds me close and spends time petting me, until she feels better.

Sea Change said...

I've had panic attacks on and off for a while - there are several things that seem to help: 1)getting enough sleep (uninterrupted, in a dark room), 2)drinking smaller cups of coffee - max 2 a day or drinking decaf, 3)when the doctor told me what it was and that it wasn't physically threatening it really helped (e.g that my heart wasn't going to explode during the attack which is what it felt like), so now when i feel it i remind myself that it will pass and that i just need to manage the symptoms. sometimes it helps to walk (if i'm still) or sit down (if i'm walking) 4)i often get it when i have to focus on things, eg supermarkets, art galleries - so letting my gaze open up and look around me helps. hope this is of use - good luck!
Om