Sunday, October 19, 2008

New Meds


It's been awhile again. I wish I could report that my absence between posts meant things are improving, but that's not exactly the case.

As you may remember, I have been taking Xanax to help me during "panic" situations. According to my doctor, Xanax is supposed to a "band-aid" medicine, to get you over a temporary hump until you feel better.

Well, my temporary hump has turned into a long, straight road. I was taking the full dose of Xanax three times a day (the maximum my doctor prescribed) to help me tolerate every day's challenges. If I didn't take my dose, my panic symptoms would return. I started a three-times-a-day regimen to help get things under control. It worked, but it's been going on too long.

So, my doctor has placed me on an anti-depressant called Celexa, which has a fairly good success rate for helping people with panic disorders. I have been taking it for a week and dealing with the annoying side effects, such as stomach pains, insomnia, hot flashes and increased anxiety (isn't that the kicker?).

The side effects should wear off in another week, and then I should start seeing results (and taking less Xanax) within another two weeks. I am remaining optimistic about Celexa because of its high success rate.

On the therapy front, I am enjoying a wonderful 30-minute meditation/visualization CD created by a local therapist. It really puts me at ease, especially when I feel those panic symptoms coming on. And I am really focusing on "slowing down," which is helping a lot!
I will keep you posted on the Celexa treatment. Thanks for stopping by!

5 comments:

Terri said...

Oh two steps forward, one step back - isn't that just the way of it? I hope the new med regime is helpful. The meditation CD sounds wonderful. I imagine it will help once this crazy political season is over too! Even my usually calm grounded partner is ultra anxious these days.

Here's to continuing progress!

Wendy said...

I hope the new med works, Jill...I took Zoloft when I was having a combination of depression and panic attacks and it helped greatly (I was on a really low dose)...so if the Celexa doesn't help, you might ask about Zoloft.

Dewey said...

Good luck with the Celexa. I hope you're over side effects by now and doing well.

Unknown said...

Have you tried reading "Hope and Help for your Nerves" by Claire Weekes. I also have bad anxiety but once I read that book, I have been able to cope SOOOO much better. I am on no medication. I also just started the Lucinda Bassett: Attacking Anxiety & Depression program and its working! Its giving me the coping skills. I have taken Xanax, Clonzepam, and Lexapro before. Xanax is terrible because it gives you withdrawal symptoms that are very similar to the symptoms of anxiety. The book by Claire Weeks is not a very long book. Its a normal size and a quick read. Its also very comical. I was laughing at myself because of the things being said in the book.

Ramesh said...

good news in pharma industry


buy ativan